Friday, September 27, 2013

Our Miscarriage Scare

I found out I was pregnant the evening of March 9th. It was a surprise pregnancy (I don’t believe in considering pregnancies accidents), but regardless of that, I was beyond excited! Three days later, while at work, I had some bleeding and ran straight over to the ER to see what was wrong. About 5 long terrifying hours later, the doctor came in and told us that they did not see anything on the ultrasound, and I had miscarried. For the next week I was a wreck. I didn't want to do anything other than lay in my bed and cry. I had wanted to start a family for over 5 years, and now that it was finally happening, that dream I had was being ripped away from me. Exactly a week after my ER visit, I had a follow-up visit with my OBGYN to see if I needed to have a D&C or not. They gave me a form for lab work, and the nurse said “Who knows, maybe it was just too early for them to see anything on the ultrasound.” I remember being so upset that she had said that; I called my mom on my way to school and cried to her, telling her it wasn't right for her to say that and give me false hope. I had lost my baby, and that wasn't going to help me grieve at all. Welllllllll…….. The following day I had the blood work done, and as it turns out the nurse was right! It was too early for the ultrasound techs to see anything on the ultrasound! I WAS STILL PREGNANT!!!!! As you can imagine though, I was terrified that something was wrong, something HAD TO be wrong; after all, I had still been spotting/bleeding. I continued spotting/bleeding until around 11 weeks (which was completely and totally terrifying), when I found out I had a very common bacterial infection pregnant women get, and after a week on antibiotics, the infection was gone, along with the bleeding and spotting. I am now happily almost 34 weeks pregnant! J I encourage any pregnant woman who is experiencing spotting/bleeding to ask for a culture test to be done. Had I known sooner, I would have asked my OBGYN to do a culture sooner, and would have avoided unneeded stress and worry for weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment